American Association of Suicidology AAS promotes research, public awareness programs, public education and training for professionals and volunteers. In addition, AAS serves as a national clearinghouse for information on suicide.
Safety Planning App: This free application helps individuals identify suicide warning signs, create coping strategies, identify positive contacts and social settings to distract from the crisis, identify family members and friends available to help, find professional help and resources, and make their environment safe from lethal means that may be used in a suicide attempt.
CampusBlues.com A very comprehensive college-focused site with a mission of facilitating student awareness and use of college resources.
Emotional Health 101 View videos of artists and students from across the country as they share their personal stories of dealing with everyday stresses and emotional issues like depression.
The Jed Foundation The Jed Foundation is the nation’s leading organization working to prevent suicide and promote mental health among college students. We are guided by an expert board of mental health professionals in our efforts to identify the underlying causes of suicide and produce effective prevention, awareness and intervention programs.
Student Success YouYube Channel Complimentary violence prevention videos including topics such as consent, stalking, healthy relationships, the new "Yes Means Yes" law, and others.
Not Any More An interactive online program intended to reduce interpersonal violence on campus.
The Counseling Center Village is made up of many individual home pages and other resources created by colleges and university Counseling Centers around the world. See Virtual Pamphlet
The Suicide Prevention Resource Center This site includes individual state suicide prevention pages, news and events, an online library, training, and links to other web sites.
Students Experiencing Homelessness A variety of information for students experiencing homelessness.
Life Transitions Center/Hospice: For more than 30 years, the work of Life Transitions Center has focused on providing counseling, information, support, and resources to anyone concerned about issues related to loss, grief, death, and living with a life-threatening illness.
"Go Ask Alice" Health & Wellness Self-Help Site from Columbia University's Health Education Program.
The Road to Resilience Provided by the American Psychological Association's Psychology Help Center. The APA's Psychology Help Center is an online consumer resource featuring articles and information related to psychological issues affecting your daily physical and emotional well-being.
Ulifeline.com This is another site custom-designed to the needs of College students who are interested in various mental health resources.
AA of Western New York Meeting Schedule - Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting Schedule for the WNY, Buffalo, region of New York. Listing of all the A.A. meetings by day and type of meeting with address, time ...
Sober Nation - Addiction is a huge problem in the world, and most people need help to stop. Don’t let shame or embarrassment keep you from taking the first steps. Get sober. Get happy and enjoy the life that recovery can give to you.
The following list includes self-help books recommended by the Buffalo State Counseling Center staff:
- Beyond Grief: A Guide to Recovering From the Death of a Loved One , by C. Staudacher (1987) .
- Grief's Courageous Journey: A Workbook , by S. Caplan and G. Lang (1995).
- How to Survive the Loss of a Love: Fifty-Eight Things to Do When There Is Nothing to Be Done , by M. Colgrove, H.H. Bloomfield, and P. McWilliams (1977).
- When Bad Things Happen to Good People , by H.S. Kushner (1981).
- Men & Grief , by C. Staudacher (1992).
Anxiety & Panic
- When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life, by David Burns (2010)
- The Imp of the Mind: Exploring the Silent Epidemic of Obsessive Bad Thoughts, by Lee Baer (2002)
Mental Health Skills
- The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation & Distress Tolerance (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook), by McKay/Wood/Brantley (2007)
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself, by Kristen Neff
- ACT on Life not on Anger, by Eifert, McKay, & Forsyth